Jan 22, 2016

Cottage Contemporary - What is that to you?

Our house is a contemporary style but my decorating style isn't necessarily that way, except that I like clean and simple lines.

(and except for the iron doilies above and inside the door - a little old fashion)
I can see a ton of potential with this architecture style, though. With simple lines and lots of natural light this type of home could be a dream.

Have you ever seen a contemporary home with cottage or rustic features?

Everyone has their own idea of what Cottage Contemporary looks like.

Here are a couple of examples of what I see that to be.
I like this one based on where we live. The vertical rustic wood siding goes well with a mountain cottage but it's simple. 
And of course, with some paint, new windows and a covered porch you can turn anything into something cute! I love the clean metal roof on this beach house and the straight lines of the trim. I love this style for the places we have lived before now.  East Coast!

A mixture of the two would be my dream.
see more on this Pinterest link.

Back to reality -

The black vertical siding on our house is fine for now but I like to dress it up a little.
In my opinion - with the structure all clean and pretty then a home can handle a lot of natural "fluff" and various design styles. I particularly like worn furniture and homey, cottage whites.
Especially against BLACK.
I like how fun vintage accessories stand out against simple backgrounds.
Like that old pillar and a little watering can that my parents found for me (thank you!!!).
Mazi makes for a pretty. darn. cute. accessory, too.

Potential! I love to look beyond what something is and imagine what it can become.

Well - that's it for now. Enjoy your weekend!

9 comments :

KUNIs little white castle said...

I loooooove your door very much and the crown above the door, awwwwwwwww

Patty Sumner said...

I love your house! Inside and out! Your front door beckons us.. it screams Welcome! That is my kind of style...warm and welcoming! Blessings!

lisa f said...

The front door has a very rich look. Love the rod iron look. Our house also has the vertical cedar siding. It's a mix of contemporary and cape cod. The upper floor is more contemporary with the remote skylights and high ceilings with exposed beams. Lots of natural light. The first level is rustic with original shiplap,old hardwood floors,and parkay flooring. I mix my decorating with lots of country and rustic chippy painted pieces much like you (mostly finds from old homes we tear down) Anything goes and it all blends well.

Kelly said...

I've never heard of cottage contemporary, but I can see the vision! I would love to see a full view of the outside of your house. I don't think you've shared that yet. I'm not familiar with the style of homes in Utah since I've only ever lived in the southeast. But, from what I've seen it's all about the views! Your landscape is so pretty that you'll want to capitalize on that.

Simple and serene living Laura Walker said...

I'm a believer that you can turn just about any style home into what you like. Looks like you are well on your way. xo Laura

Cozy Little House said...

I once had a contemporary home, and I decorated pretty much as I do now.
Brenda

Judy said...

Your house is fabulous! I love what you've done with the front of it, it's almost like a big cottage vignette, complete with that precious puppy. I don't care for the cottage comtemporary look when it is too rustic, like the first example you showed. I've also seen some of what I would call an "attempt" at cottage contemporary but look to me like a country cabin. Most of the cottage contemporary I've seen and really like has the base of a contemporary home. There is a great home in my neighborhood that is very contemporary, but the owners have done a beautiful job of giving it a cottage look inside and out. They have maintained the contempory bones of the house, but the rest is all cottage.

Katie Mansfield said...

Adorable. I love the watering can on the post.

Christine Vandormolen said...

The green chair looks so amazing against the black exterior. And little Mazi is the cutest!!!! Fabulous!

You May Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...